This is the perfect condiment to always have on hand. So versatile, and the kids love it too! You will never buy store bought pesto again when you realise how delicious it is and how easy it is to actually make! Use on anything such as in a pesto pasta, through a salad, on top of eggs, added to a poke bowl…. the list is endless !
Basil & Green Veggie Pesto
- blender/ food processor
- Steamer or microwave
- Jar to store
- 1-1.5 cups fresh basil leaves adjust to your taste
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen broccoli
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen spinach (I find fresh is best though)
- 1/4-1/2 cup Pine nuts and/or walnuts adjust as needed
- 1 medium Garlic Bulb roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup Parmesan chopped adjust as needed
- 1/4-1/3 cup Olive Oil adjust as needed
- 1-2 tbsp Water as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Optional extras: Avocado, hemp seeds, nutritional yeast (some things I often add to beef it up) 🙂
- Steam / cook up your veggies including frozen spinach if using. No need to cook fresh spinach. Leave to cool or run under cool water.
- Bang everything into a food processor / blender and blitz to the consistency you like.
- Adjust flavours and liquids to your liking
- As simple as that!
- Transfer to a jar and add a lug of olive oil on top to keep it fresher for longer and stop it turning brown.
- Keep in the fridge for up to a week.