Boost your salad game and brighten up your meal (and your day!) with the vibrant colours and flavours of this warm roasted vegetable, chickpea and haloumi salad with candied walnuts. Nutritious, full of flavour, and perfect for leftovers. Great thing with this salad is, the vegetables can be altered based on what you have in the fridge, and haloumi can be subbed for tofu, tempeh (keeping it vegetarian or taking it vegan) or add another protein of your choice. Add this one to your meal rotations, and you will have a delicious lunch or dinner on the menu that’s super easy to prepare.
Roasted Vegetable, Chickpea and Haloumi Salad
Vegetables for roasting of your choice. If you have these pre-roasted, makes dinner prep even more simple!
My favourites (but really any veggies go!):
- 1/2 Butternut Pumpkin, chopped ~2cm pieces
- 1 large Sweet Potato, chopped ~2cm pieces
- 1/4-1/2 Cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 Red Onion, quartered length ways
- 1 punnet Cherry Tomatoes
- Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Dried Oregano (or herb of choice)
- 1 large Handful Baby spinach leaves
- 1 small Bunch flat-leave parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 400g can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 250g Haloumi, thickly sliced (you could sub for tofu, tempeh or even a protein of choice etc)
- 1 large Handful Walnuts, slightly chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Honey / rice malt syrup
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp Baby capers, drained, roughly chopped
- 1/2 Lemon – finely grated zest + the juice
- dash Water (as needed)
- 60 ml Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Dijon OR wholegrain mustard
For the roasted Vegetables
- Preheat oven to 180deg. Place all the vegetables (excluding tomatoes) evenly on a lined baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with dried herbs and season with S&P. Cook for ~20-30min
- Add the tomatoes to the tray, drizzle with oil and return all vegetables to the oven for another ~20min or until potato, pumpkin and cauliflower are tender, onion is golden and tomatoes softened. (note you may need to take out some vegetables before others – so keep an eye on them)
For the dressing
- Whisk capers, lemon zest and juice, mustard and oil in a bowl or shake to combine in a jar. Add a dash of water to thin slightly.
For the Haloumi & Walnuts
- Heat frypan and over medium heat throw in the walnuts and drizzle with the honey/rice malt syrup and a sprinkle of salt. Keep an eye on it and toss as needed, but let bubble away until honey/rice malt syrup starts to caramalise.
- In the same frypan, cook haloumi on each side until golden.
Pull it all together
- Grab a large serving bowl and put everything in, pour over the dressing and toss gently.
- Pop it in the middle of your table, grab a bowl and 'serve yourself' and enjoy ! 🙂