Spinach and Ricotta Zucchini Cannelloni
This simple and delicious midweek dish is a take on the classic spinach and ricotta cannelloni. It replaces the pasta with zucchini ribbons and is filled with zesty spinach, ricotta and pea filling. So tasty and delicious and can be prepped ahead of time so you can just pop into the oven when you are ready to eat. Give this one a go – you won't be disappointed. 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 eggs
- 1 tub ricotta (375g)
- 2 cups baby spinach roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3-4 large zucchinis – thinly sliced with a mandolin or peeler, both work!
- 500 ml tomato puree / passata
- 1/2 cup bone broth / stock
- 1/2 cup grated mozzerrella
- Pre heat oven to ~160deg
- Run the peas under hot water or cook lightly in saucepan to unthaw
- Drain and place in a large mixing bowl and mash / squad lightly with a fork, potato masher – or your hands! 😉
- Crack in the eggs and beat with a fork
- Add the ricotta, spinach, mint, lemon rind and s&p to taste. And mix well
- If you haven't already slice your zucchini longways. Just using the flesh, not the insides.
- Pour the tomato puree and broth/stock in a baking dish. Option to add fresh or dried herbs or extra S&P or taste if you wish.
- Scoop a spoon of your mixture onto the end of a large zucchini slice and then gently roll and place into the baking dish in tomato mixture. Repeat until you have used NEARLY all of the mixture, snuggling them in closely together.
- TIP: Some of the zucchini slices may have broken when slicing or be very skinny, don't waste these. Stack together to make bigger ones. Any you don't / can't use though, pop in the freezer along with the inside of the zucchinis as you can use for a veggie stock later!
- With the remaining mixture, just top up the cannelloni so they are full and nearly over flowing.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella on top and bake for 40-60min or j=until nice and golden brown on top.
- Let rest and cool for a little before serving into shallow bowls. You can east as is, or if you like serve with extra veggies, or a simple salad. ENJOY !