Ultimate Banana Bread
This banana bread will sure to please the whole family. Unlike your store bought banana bread this one is refined sugar free, and is packed full of goodness. I've adapted this recipe from probably 3 different recipes I've used over the years and often (as I do) I modify slightly based on what ingredients I have in the pantry. So I offer some substitutes or optional add ins for what works for you. As long as you stick to the bones of the recipe you can't go wrong. Perfect for an arvo snack or pre, during or post training. I also love it sliced and toasted and then topped with yoghurt, berries and nuts/seeds for a delicious dessert! Can be made as a loaf, or as muffins and freezes super well.
- ~4 Ripe Bananas (approx 350-400g)
- 2 large eggs (or 3 if on the smaller side)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted you can sub this for butter also
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup you can adjust this based on how ripe your bananas are
- 1 tsp vanilla extract just omit if you don't have
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour or flour of choice
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbs flaxmeal and/or LSA
- 2 tbs chia seeds
- 1/4-1/3 cup coconut /almond milk you can sub in any milk here
- 1/3 CUP chopped walnuts or other soft nut of choice, or you can omit
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees and line a loaf tin or muffin tray
- Using whatever kitchen device / aid you have – I use a thermo (you can even do by hand!), blend / mix bananas
- Blend through eggs
- Add remaining wet ingredients (excluding the milk) – rice malt syrup, vanilla essence and coconut oil/butter and blend until combined
- Place in all the dry ingredients (excluding walnuts) + 1/4 cup of milk blend until combined
- Add in additional milk if needed. I should be thick and creamy and not too runny.
- Fold through the walnuts – or any soft nut or addition of choice (choc chips are great too!) 😉 Save some to sprinkle on top
- Pour the mixture into lined tin (or muffin tray) If you want to get fancy, slice an extra banana in half long ways and place both on top of your banana bread. (you can also do little tiny slices on your muffins if you like)
- Cook until skewer comes out clean. If you under cook it will be too soggy. For a loaf this can be 1-1.25hours. For muffins, 20-30min. Just keep an eye on them.
- When cooked pull out of the oven and let cool in tin/tray for ~20min then turn out onto wire rack to cool fully.
- Keep in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. ENJOY!